Two-day SUP touring and technique clinics
These courses are designed to set you firmly on the path to becoming an independent coastal water paddler. Be prepared to push your personal boundaries and meet physical and mental challenges in excess of what you’d normally encounter on a sup lesson; but to also enjoy far greater rewards that will remain with you forever.
You will learn about how to paddle in various wind conditions, how to improve your balance in different sea states, how to choose a good touring route and how to stay safe and think dynamically on the water. You’ll also gain an understanding of navigation, tides, weather systems and passage planning.
You will also be given access to sup equipment that is radically different from ‘learner inflatable boards’. SUP touring boards are sleek, fast load carriers that can handle very rough water and enable you to explore much further and in conditions that would be unsuitable on more rudimentary boards.
Day one: Technique and Familiarisation
Day one is all about equipping you with the skills and knowledge you need in an enclosed water on stable boards so that you can react instinctively and effectively when we venture out into more challenging waterways on day two. We cover:
- Basic and touring paddle strokes and board control techniques
- Self-rescue and peer-assist drills
- Making progress in wind and current
- Progression from stable beginner boards to touring boards
- Overview of tides and weather systems affecting paddlers
- A paddler’s physical and neurological adaptations to SUP
Day two: Route Planning and Open Water
On day two we start planning and preparing for our mini-exped focussing on equipment, ourselves, and the conditions. We work towards becoming our own risk technicians which is a mindset that can be applied to many sports and situations. And of course, we go out on a jaw-dropping paddle into nature!
- Planning a suitable ocean SUP route according to conditions and personal ability
- Reading sea charts, understanding tides and navigation for paddlers
- Identifying risks and planning contingencies and exit routes
- The effect of stress on performance and decision making on the water
- Equipping and preparing for an ocean SUP route
- Going on an ocean SUP tour!
- Reflecting on the planning and experience of the tour
Online bookings by eola